Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A cleaner environment... through beer


They've finally found out how to harness the power of beer!


CANBERRA, Australia - Scientists and Australian beer maker Foster's are teaming up to generate clean energy from brewery waste water — by using sugar-consuming bacteria.

The experimental technology was unveiled Wednesday by scientists at Australia's University of Queensland, which was given a $115,000 state government grant to install a microbial fuel cell at a Foster's Group brewery near Brisbane, the capital of Queensland state.

The fuel cell is essentially a battery in which bacteria consume water-soluble brewing waste such as sugar, starch and alcohol.

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of using any kind of waste to create energy. I also like the idea of solar energy.

    I live in central California and we have many months of sunny days. In the summer it doesn't rain and there are few couds. I'd love to put solar panels on my roof.

    Unfortunately, as a middle-class wage earner, I'd have to take out a big loan just to set it up. Between paying for my house, saving for retirement and just paying bills, I'm not in a situation where I can take out another loan.

    I wish there was a way to make solar more popular and so it will lower the cost. It is rarely even mentioned as an alternative for providing energy to the masses. Is there any thing we can do to get large energy providers to look into soar energy more?

    ReplyDelete

So whaddaya think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...