Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Asthma - Do you have any tips for controlling your family's asthma symptoms?


May is Asthma Awareness Month.
My husband and my 8 yro son both have asthma that's really aggravated by allergens like pets, dust, frangrances, etc. I use green cleaners and don't use any fragrances around them, not even hand soap. I have to really keep a "nose" for things that might cause them a reaction. Because once it starts, it takes several days for it to go away again.

I'd like to share some tips that I've learned and ask for others to share more tips too. (If you don't know that the FDA isn't doing their job of protecting consumers, check out this site: at KadabaCo.com for more info.)


1. Nothing passes my front door without passing the 'pthalate or fragrance free' test.

2. Laundry, cleaning, dusting and vacumming all take place with the windows open, unless it's too humid outside. Then I turn on the a/c fan so the dust is collected in the filters. I also only use my shark steamers for the bathrooms and the floors.

3. Organic produce (as much as possible anyway) with no additives, preservatives or pesticides.

4. No visitors with heavy perfumes, cats or horses on their clothes. All our friends know this. We know a few smokers and they can't go outside and have a smoke and come right back in. They actually don't mind waiting a few extra minutes to "air out" before coming back in. Especially if they were smoking in their car.

5. Take hand sanitizer with you when you're out, so if you use the restroom you don't have to use that super stinky hand soaps in there.

With these changes we've made in the last year or so, my husband's been able to stop taking meds and reduce the use of his inhaler to only use for sudden attacks and my son only uses it if his coughing keeps him up at night. It's really helped and we even have a dog, we just have to bathe him every week.

Does anyone else have any other tips? Or alternatives?

2 comments:

  1. We got a Himalayian salt crystal lamp which is a big salt crystal with a small light bulb inside. We keep in on in my son's room 24/7. Within 2 weeks of it being there, he stopped taking his pump to school, ran in gym class without losig his breath. The chance was dramatic and fast. IF I were you I'd try it for your son. I'll never be without one again. IT has to do with negative ions. I just knnow it worked for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JoAnn!
    Sounds like you have some great tips to make life easier & better for your husband & son. My son is 26 & doesn't have any problems with asthma now but had several scary bouts with this when he was little due to hay - once in a circus tent!
    Thank you so much for visiting my blog!
    Enjoy your day!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

So whaddaya think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...