Sunday, December 7, 2008

Give Us This Day, Our Daily Bread

...and make it Organic Whole Wheat Bread, please!

"In all times and among all nations bread has been regarded as the staff of life, ..... Among free and civilized peoples the head of the family is known as the breadwinner. And for close upon two thousand years Christians of all denominations have had and still have one prayer in common - the Lord's Prayer; that they may be given their daily bread..." exerpt Stella Standard Our Daily Bread, pub 1970.

Going "Back To Basics" for me means learning how to cook all over again. My Mother was skilled at industrial age cooking. She always said, "Leave it to professionals. If it's in a jar, can or box, it was made by professionals!" Well, I know it's time to get back to healthy eating and she'd cringe today if she knew all of the chemicals that's in those "professional foods" now.


My first attempt (maybe beginners luck?) at making bread and it's a success! I'm very happy! Because at $3.87 a loaf at walmart it's just silly to keep paying that when bread is so easy to make yourself for pennies a loaf! So that's what I'm going to do.


I used a recipe from a cookbook called Our Daily Bread by Stella Standard. A friend of mine was given this book in 1974! It's got every kind of bread you could ask for and the style of the recipes' directions are written for the beginner for sure (I oughtta know, eh?).


Organic Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

1 envelope yeast

1/4 cup lukewarm water

3 tablespoons brown sugar

1 cup of hot water

3 tablespoons sweet butter

1 tablespoon salt

3 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour

1/2 tsp mace (optional)


1. Combine yeast, lukewarm water and brown sugar, set aside until frothy.
2. Add butter to hot water, set aside until room temperature.

3. Combine yeast and butter waters together.
4. Add water to flour and beat (I had to use my hands to mix)
5. Put in a bowl, sitting in a dishpan of hot water and cover with a towl until it's double in size, approximately 1 hour.
6. Flour surface of counter, knead dough hard for 1 minute, roll and place into a greased 3x5x9 bread pan and put back into hot water in dishpan for second Linkrising.
7. Once dough has risen above and slightly rounded the edge of the pan, place in center of cold oven and set for 400 degrees.

8. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then reduce heat 325 degrees for 35 minutes more.

9. When done, remove from oven and turn onto breadboard and cover loosely until cooled.

10. Enjoy!
Even the family was impressed. I'll get more efficient and try different versions as I go back to the Foxfire days! Well, one episode of Little House on the Prairie reminds me that I don't want it to go back that far, but I'm willing to learn it just in case!

2 comments:

  1. Love your first attempt at bread making. Another great book is Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a day.
    I also swear by my bread machine!

    ReplyDelete

So whaddaya think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...