Saturday, March 21, 2009

Get Involved! HR 875 Means More Government, More Spending, More Recession!

Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009

Food Safety? or Food Police?

"HR 875, the Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009, is a limited-vision attempt by moderate Democrats and Republicans to craft food safety legislation to address the out-of-control filth and contamination that are inherent in our industrialized, now globalized, "profit-at-any-cost" food system.

This being said, Organic Consumers Association does not support HR 875 in its present form, given the fact that, if the bill's regulations were applied in a one-size-fits-all manner to certified organic and farm-to-consumer operations, it could have a devastating impact on small farmers, especially raw milk producers who are already unfairly targeted by state food-safety regulators.

Although the Organic Consumers Association deems this bill somewhat well-intentioned, we are calling on Congress to focus its attention on the real threats to food safety: globalized food sourcing from nations such as China where food safety is a travesty and domestic industrial-scale and factory farms whose collateral damage includes pesticide and antibiotic-tainted food, mad cow disease, E.coli contamination and salmonella poisoning."
Exerpt above from Ethan Huff at NaturalNews.com

After quite a bit of searching, reading, watching videos and listening to alarming podcasts about this bill basically bankrupting farmers to further consolidate the conglomeration of huge corporate thugs, I'm convinced it must be stopped!

Furthermore, I'm absolutely appauled by the introduction of this bill by Representative Rosa DeLauro (D-CT) who's husband works for MONSANTO! Unbelievable! She's got the family members of food poisoning victims in photo opps to help gain support!

Google various keywords and see for yourself how many are opposed to this legislation and it's a wonder why it's being supported by 42 reps in the house. I'm carefully watching my state reps and how they vote. I'm using CapWiz.com to email (pre-made emails that I can edit) and it will surely determine their futures in politics on the next vote!

Go to the Organic Consumers Association Action Alert Page and tell your state representatives how you feel!

In my opinion, we don't need more regulation, more spending, more government, more laws.

We need to reduce it!

4 comments:

  1. Great article JoAnn! what has happened to the home garden and home gardener?

    This article makes us realize how far we have slid away from basics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JoAnn,

    I agree. I've been doing a little research and I think it's not going to be a thing. I can just see small farms losing their businesses, not being able to buy raw cheese (can't buy raw milk), and the prices of organic produce going sky high! I'm glad I grow a lot of our food- we were just looking into buying some good meat too- those resources will be more limited.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, by the way...happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you too are spreading the word. I used to live right by a Monsanto plant and man did it STINK!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Joannah

    http://keyboardpiano.net

    ReplyDelete

So whaddaya think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...