Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Who Needs Health Care Reform? Doctors Should Offer Insurance Directly To Patients


Wouldn't everyone rush to find this doctor?

I would!

In fact, I searched for such a doctor like that today. I'm looking for insurance coverage as I'm not allowed to keep my old one because I don't live in Ca anymore. Humph. It's a nation wide insurance company. Grrr.

I'm left to hope. I was hoping for this health care reform to include some voices from the people. But it doesn't. At least it wouldn't take effect until 2013.

I don't agree with the government's health care reform bill. Every single "good" point, has a direct "bad" side. Like the fact that insurance companies can't deny you for pre-existing conditions, BUT they can say your treatment isn't Medically Necessary (notice the capital letters implying legal description?) as youtube and google has plenty of entries for how Cigna and others have been raking in premiums from insureds, and then denying claims as soon as some major illness strikes. They paid for the insurance and the insurance company just DECIDED NOT TO PAY!

Another option that wasn't on the table for health care reform.... Doctor's Insurance.

I think doctors should offer health benefits for their patients and switch to all cash practices. Just like those Ameriplan type benefits, only without the multi level marketing stuff. It's just a list of doctors willing to give you a discount of at least 15% and you're supposed to pay a premium to have one of their discount cards. What a crock. Why don't the doctors just skip that middle man and offer it straight up???

Doctors take a much bigger hit to their incomes when they sign up with insurance companies as a PPO or see Workers Comp patients, or worse.... personal injury cases!

I know what preferred provider contracts from insurance companies require of doctors to be on the list. Deep discounts. Up to 85%! I have personally experienced having the same service cost $600 on one day, and the day I got insurance, the insurance company paid $58 and my portion was $15. Who does this benefit? The insurance companies of course. They get the premium from us, then get a "premium" from the doctor who actually performed the services. It's not like I had to pay less when you add up that I had to earn the money first, pay taxes on it, then pay the monthly premium and the annual deductible before any benefits are paid, but the doctor sure gets taken for a ride.

Now, what if, this doctor had just told us, no insurance, just cash? Consider the benefits JUST for the doctor. Like no billing department, no contractual cuts to the insurance, perhaps even a malpractice waiver to lighten the burden?

Sure there are probably already laws in place the keep doctors from offering "insurance" per say. But not a deep discount for cash! After 10 years in the medical field (billing and management) I have experienced the true "tragedy" of insurance companies. Usual and customary, medically necessary, medical review boards, preauthorization, and don't forget malpractice insurance!

If there are any doctors out there who are willing to offer their services for cash (and not for more than a worker's comp claim or PPO insurance contract would otherwise satisfy you), then convert your office over to cash! I actually did just that for a chiropractor in Pleasanton, California in only six months.

What are we going to do with health care in this corrupt country? I've joined Dr. Ron Paul (yes an M.D.) and his Campaign for Liberty in hopes that we'll reform the corruption in government and the people will be in charge once again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So whaddaya think?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...